Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Care for a turn about the castle?


I saw my very first castle today!!! It was amazing. This morning Nathan woke up and asked me if we wanted to go to Stratford, the birthplace of Shakespear. To which I replied, "Um... How about a castle instead?" I have been dying to see a castle, so for me, Stratford can wait another day.






My first dungeon visit
We went to THE castle here in England and it was only a 20 min train ride from where we are staying. It is called Warwick Castle. We walked in an my jaw just dropped. It was so big and cool and exciting! A castle! Nathan took me to his favorite spot first. The dungeon. We walked down a small staircase at the bottom of the castle and no one else was around. It was properly scary. (To use an English word I quite like) And of course, Nathan kept poking me to make me jump. As part of our ticket we could do a tour called, "The Castle Dungeon." It was at a different part of the castle than the small dungeon we looked at. The one we had just seen I guess was 'child's play' because the real tour was 40 minutes long and had live actors running around it. I was starting to get scared.

We didn't have much time before our tour so we played inside the towers for a bit then got into line for the dungeon tour. We made it through pretty unscathed, the actors seemed to pick on nathan and I alot. I was first picked to have my organs ripped out and then Nathan had to demonstrate the uses of torture weapons. It was pretty scary but mostly fun.

After the torture, we walked around the castle and I ran into King Henry the VIII. He told stories about all his wives and such. He was actually a pretty cool dude. Then we watched a jousting tournament. I found it funny because four countries were represented, England, Greece, Italy, and Spain. Then a Frenchman barged in and wanted to join and everyone booed. He was totally made out to be the villian of the show. Everyone was so obviously anti-French. It was pretty funny. After that we watched a trebuchet launch a fireball.

We did lots of just wandering about the castle. There were lots of shows and games going on. It was a really cool place. I liked it lots. There were some amazing views from on top of the towers. I love looking at England. It never gets old.











1 comment:

  1. Hooray! I'm so glad you started a blog! I loved Warwick Castle, we did the Princess tour with the girls, it was sweet. And yeah, I was actually a little surprised by the anti-French feelings in England. Even when we introduced ourselves at church the Sunday School teacher said, "well, since you're American I guess we'll forgive you for living in France." ...um...thank you...??? :)

    ReplyDelete