Wednesday, August 15, 2012

My life in Ruins


Monday, Nathan, Loren (future niece), and I went to Carmarthen to do some shopping. Loren needed new flip flops and Nathan was still in need of a wedding ring. We went to this store called Argos to get the ring. It's this big building that has only a small store front that is full of catalogs. You go in and look through these catalogs that show you everything they have in the back of the store. The back is huge and full of all these things you can buy. Oddly enough the only ring in Nathan's size wasn't in the gigantic back but in the display. Funny that.


















After finding the ring, it began to rain. We tromped through the rain to a castle that was not too far from the shopping centre. Can I just say that I love the shopping here? Even in Wales where I have found mostly small villages, they still have sweet awesome shopping nearby. I like all the stores too, they are all really trendy and fun. I am yet to go into a store and leave without begging Nathan to buy something for me--- he has all the pounds (£). Actually not true, I have £1.70 in coins I carry around with me in case I get lost.










Anyway, back to the Carreg Cennen castle! We trudged up the hill to this castle ruin on the top. Loren's pet pig, 'Peppa Pig', aka- a pink fluff ball on the top of a pink colored pencil, was getting too cumbersome for her to hold so she trusted Nathan with the pig. --Maybe not the best choice. More on that later.--The view was absolutely amazing up at the top. This castle was really different than Warwick. Warwick was really touristy and dressed up like it is still functioning but the ruins were just quiet and beautiful.
 
 







We found the best way to explore the ruins would be to play hide and go seek with Loren. It was really fun to wander around looking for the others. I particularly liked the moment pictured below where I found Nathan and Loren hiding behind a wall. I managed to completely surprise Loren. She is really fun to have around.

Awesome action pic by Nath
There was a natural cave beneath the castle where they advise you to rent a torch (english word for flashlight). Seeing as how the place to rent them was all the way down the hill and because Nathan and I would never pay to rent something lame like a flashlight, we used the dim light off an iphone to explore the cave. Halfway through Loren said, “I think I am a little bit frightened.” So the rest of the way we sang church songs in the dark and ultra wet cave.

After walking out of the castle Loren asked for 'Peppa Pig'. Nath reached into his pocket to find...nothing. He ran around the entire castle looking for the beloved swine. He even went into the cave looking for it. Turns out he dropped it almost as soon as he got it because it was on the grass before the entrance to the castle.

Then we began the long walk back down the hill. Once at the bottom Loren and I took a restroom break and when we came out Nathan had a surprise for us for being such good girls today... ice cream! It was a really great day. I have really enjoyed my time in Wales... even if these roads are not only terrifying but nauseatingly curvaceous.


Pictures edited by Vince Jones (future brother-in-law)

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like the best day!! What an amazing adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures, the story, and the title were awesome! I want to live in Wales too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking care of Loren - she had a great few days with you chaps. Now to Somerset (NOT Devon)!

    ReplyDelete